Thursday, February 22, 2024
News

Production on Alec Baldwin's 'Rust' to resume after fatal shooting – Rolling Stone

27views

Alec Baldwin Western film War set to resume filming this week, according to a representative for the production company. Rust Move Productions attorney Melina Spadone said work on the film will resume today, 18 months after Baldwin fatally shot cinematographer Halina Hutchins on set.

Baldwin will continue his involvement as an actor and co-producer. The Yellowstone Film Ranch in Montana would be used instead of the original location in New Mexico, where the shooting took place. Earlier this year, it was announced that Bianca Kline would be taking over as cinematographer.

Spadone confirmed in a statement to the press, “The production will continue to use union crew members and will prohibit the use of working weapons and ammunition of any kind.” “Live ammunition is – and always was – prohibited on set.”

filming resumes War It was first announced last October when Baldwin and other producers reached a settlement with Matthew Hutchins, who filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the production on behalf of his late wife. As part of the deal, it was announced that Matthews would serve as an executive producer on the film and receive a cut of the film’s profits.

War Director Joel Souza – who was also injured in the shoot – previously said of resuming production, “Though bittersweet, I am grateful that a fantastic and dedicated new production team joining the former cast and crew are on board. And I am determined to finish what I started. My every effort on this film will be dedicated to honoring Halina’s legacy and making her proud. It is a privilege to watch it from her side.

Last month, Rust Move Productions finalized a settlement with New Mexico’s Bureau of Occupational Health and Safety over “serious” violations and agreed to pay a $100,000 fine. The bureau found that Rust Movie Productions took little or no action to counter two misfires on the film set prior to Hutchins’ fatal shooting, and gun safety complaints from crew members remained unanswered.

in a statement to Rolling stone, the production company said it plans to appeal the findings. “While we appreciate OSHA’s time and effort in its investigation, we disagree with its findings and plan to appeal,” the statement said. “Our thoughts and prayers are with Halina’s family.”

Separately, prosecutors in Santa Fe are moving forward with involuntary manslaughter charges against both Baldwin and weapons supervisor Hannah Gutierrez-Reid. Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reid have pleaded not guilty to the charges. An evidence hearing has been set for early May to decide whether to proceed to trial.

Hutchins died and Souza was injured during rehearsals on the set of War On October 21, 2021. The incident occurred when Baldwin inadvertently discharged a prop gun that had been loaded with live rounds, believing that the prop was “cold”. There have been multiple investigations of the incident by various government agencies, from the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office to the FBI.

The shooting has inspired several civil lawsuits (as well as some fines). Notably, Hutchins’ family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Baldwin, War Producers Ryan Donnell Smith, Gutierrez-Reid, Assistant Director Dave Hall, Prop Master Sarah Zachary and “Armourer Mentor” Seth Kenny.

Last month, Assistant Director Dave Hall pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of reckless use of a deadly weapon. He will not face any jail time and will serve six months of unsupervised probation.